In addition to talking about your budget, the size of your manuscript, and your time frame, I have five more questions I like to ask clients.
- Where do you blog? I want to familiarize myself with your writing style.
- How will you be publishing this book? Kindle? PDF? Print-on-demand? Different formats require different editing (for example, you can’t do footnotes for the Kindle, only end notes.)
- I’m going to follow The Chicago Manual of Style for your book, are you ok with that? You need to understand we aren’t following the AP rules you may use for blog writing, or the MLA rules you may have learned in school. Book writers follow CMS rules so that’s what I’m going to help you do.
- What Bible translations do you use and which one do you use most? I’ll help you get the copyright information you need and make sure each verse is cited correctly.
- Do you want to capitalize pronouns referring to deity? It’s up to you, as long as you’re consistent.