We bought a new-to-us play set for the boys and my husband and some friends are putting it together this weekend. With the temperatures nearing 70, I’m looking forward to many afternoons in the backyard, reading while the boys play. Here are five books at the top of my to-read list:
- Bread & Wine by Shauna Nienquist – I am waiting to start this one until my husband and I have finished our Whole30 diet (we can’t eat dairy, carbs, or sugar for 30 days). But I’ve read so many good reviews of it (like this one from Kris) that now I really can’t wait!
- Life After Art by Matt Appling – When I was young I made art, mostly Jackson Pollock style. Then I realized I didn’t really have any artistic talent and stopped. In this book, Matt encourages readers to get back the excitement they had when they were young artists and use that enthusiasm in whatever field they’ve ended up in.
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald – I’m excited for the movie coming out next month! When watching movies based on books I never can decide if it’s better to read the book before or after seeing the movie. I may have to read this one before since I probably won’t get around to seeing the movie until it’s out on DVD.
- The Gospel-Centered Woman by Wendy Alsup – Wendy’s blog is a must-read for me. I’ve had her book on my bedside table for months waiting until I can give it my full attention, but I may need to just jump in.
- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis – My seven year old David and I have been listening to the Narnia series on audio book and watching the movies as we go. I do wish we had done them in publication order (as Trevin Wax suggests) but we’re still enjoying them.